[lit-ideas] Re: Numbers

"Phil Enns" writes:

: It does seem problematic to think of the number 0 as being like a
: Platonic form.  We can imagine the absence of something but I am not
: sure whether one can think absence as, well, something.  Plato himself
: warned against talk of nothingness precisely because it could only turn
: nothingness into something and therefore be nonsense.  If this is
: reasonable, perhaps the two fundamental numbers are 1 and 2.  That is,
: there is something and there is difference.

It is my---vague---recolection that the intuitionists or
constructivists---who are mostly Dutch---refuse to admit any
numbers that cannot be constructed---without the aid of the
rule against the excluded middle---from the basic sense of
"one-twoness."

Or something like that.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu