To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:32 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Norway -- condolences

Norway's response has been remarkable.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

--- On Tue, 26/7/11, Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, 2:05
Thanks to those who have expressed
their sympathy with our predicament on o roff
list. An entire generation of young politicians has been
killed or deeply
wounded. A whole country has been moved to tears by the
hatred of one
perpetrator. Remember, though, that hatred cannot be
defeated with hatred. As
Stine Renate Håheim -- a talented young politician who
survived the attack -- put it on CNN, "if one man can demonstrate so much hatred,
image how much love
we, as a community, can mobilize."

At the rally in Oslo today 200.000 people showed
their love of democracy, their
outrage at this senseless act of terror, and their grief
and sympathy with the
bereaved and those afflicted. These brutal and cowardly
attacks affect all those
who feel attached to the political system, youth
culture and even national
values: the King said that our sense of freedom,
openness and well-being shall
not be destroyed by this cowardly attack.

Let us now ensure that the person/s who committed
these atrocities are not
allowed to decide on the agenda. Let us not allow him and
those who support the
ideas that provided justifications for his acts to
become centre-pieces of our
conversations and our strengthened belief in
democracy, difference and
tolerance.

torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx
// Ph: (+47) 47851394
http://facebook.com/phatic

-- Fred, frihet og gode offentlige tjenester --

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub,
vacation on/off,