[lit-ideas] Non Anglii sed Angeli, si forent Christiani

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:57:29 EDT

Popper on the Third World

No -- really,  the Pope's aid!
I was amused, in the wrong way, by Evans's report of the  comment by the
Pope's aid who alleged 'health reasons'.
I feel I need to  know more about him! Was he Roma-born! (They have an
attitude!). Where was HE  born!?

Brewer, E. Cobham. Dictionary of Phrase & Fable. Non Angli sed  ... -
Non Angli sed Angeli, si forent Christiani. Words attributed to  Gregory
(the Great) in 573 when some British children reduced to slavery were  shown
him at ...

----

I am of course an Anglican and can laugh at it with a clear conscience, but
 I spent some time learning at how central Rome was in those days. The link
 Anglicanism-Roman is so tight -- and indeed it is never clear to
distinguish  High Anglicanism (which I'm not, since I favour a
congregation-type of
hymn-singing that you find in Low-Anglicans only) and R. C. --.

As for the multi-ethnicity, while Vatican surely is Swiss-gene dominated,
the population is not inbred, although, if you can believe this, they lack a
 maternity hospital. Rome, on the other hand, can be pretty multiethnic --
as  opposed to the real provinces where you see the real Italy (just
kidding).

----

Speranza,
"Somewhere over the rainbow"