[lit-ideas] New Yorkers after 9-11

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 02:02:34 EDT

Hi,
Given the discussion of panic attacks and thinking of those we know who are
in NYC...though I am not really trying to move the discussion to PTSD  <g>.

I'm looking forward to the group read. I'll be requesting it
tomorrow--probably through WorldCat--so glad that so many libraries are totally
 linked in
this way and that inter-library loan exists!

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

Many Poorer New Yorkers Suffered Post-9/11 PTSD

Most saw their general physician for help with post-traumatic stress
disorder, study found

URL of this page:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_33549.html
(*this news  item will not be available after 06/14/2006)

HealthDay

Robert Preidt

Monday, May 15, 2006

MONDAY, May 15 (HealthDay News) -- Long after  the terrorist attacks on the
World Trade Center, low-income, immigrant patients  in New York City continued
to suffer post-traumatic
stress disorder (PTSD),  researchers report.

The study also concluded that experiencing terrorist events  second-hand,
such as watching television news reports, does not cause PTSD,  unless a person
is already at increased risk for the disorder.

Researchers screened 930 men and women, ages 18 to 70, for PTSD in the
months following the 9/11 attacks. The participants were primary care patients
at
the New York Presbyterian
Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center.  The majority were low-income
immigrants, mostly Hispanic.

Previous community studies had found that PTSD rates dropped after six
months. But this study "suggests that a sizable portion of the sample
population
continues to have PTSD associated with significant functional impairment seven
to 16 months after the 9/11 attacks," lead author Yuval Neria, professor at
Columbia University and co-director of the Center for the Study of Trauma and
Resilience, New York State Psychiatric Institute, said in a prepared
statement.

Her team published the study in the latest issue of General Hospital
Psychiatry.
"Our findings highlight the specific needs for health care  associated with
post-disaster psychopathology among low-income Hispanic primary  care
patients," he said.
Neria noted that "many of these patients, for  cultural or economic reasons,
shun traditional mental health services and rely  heavily on their primary
care doctors for the provision of
mental health  intervention and treatment."

"This study reinforces the idea that early detection and treatment of  PTSD
in the primary care setting makes perfect sense," Dr. Anthony Ng, chairman  of
the American Psychiatric
Association's Committee on Psychiatric  Dimensions of Disaster, said in a
prepared statement.

"Many in the population under study would be reluctant to seek psychiatric
help for fear of being stigmatized within their communities, even though they
are, in fact, at increased risk for PTSD and its associated illnesses," Ng
said.

HealthDay