[lit-ideas] Re: New Year's Resolutions

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:10:47 -0500

This thing about watching television has gotten out of hand.  I'd rather eat
dirt.  I just threw that out because I couldn't think of anything more stupid.
Most people resolve to watch less television.  It's a variation on an inside
joke in our house that my husband is going to start drinking as a new year
resolution.  (Most people resolve to quit drinking.)  That went on for years
(we do have a way with jokes) until so much evidence began coming in about the
virtues of alcohol that we started drinking wine.  We drink wine on Saturday
nights with the movie (only on Saturdays).  We plan the wine to go with the
movie.  It's really a lot of fun.  That's a long winded way of saying I'm not
really planning on watching more television.

I appreciate your other suggestions, but children really aren't my thing, even
though children (and dogs) do like me.  Years ago when I substituted, I was
booked in advance for weeks.  I especially liked the teenagers.  I could
usually get them to do the work and we had fun kidding around.  Plus the
teachers didn't fall behind and the classroom was civilized.  I liked it but I
don't kid myself that teaching is anything like substituting.  Now I wouldn't
want to teach because I know I would be able to spot the hurt kids and I
couldn't deal with that.  I can't even stand going to the supermarket or the
Walmart for that reason, because it really hurts me to see the way people treat
their kids.  Sometimes I can't wait to get out of the stores. I think
volunteering is wonderful but I'd rather read a book or do something like that.
 I appreciate the suggestions, they are excellent.  But for now I think they
wouldn't work for me.

I also don't make new year's resolutions.  I was hoping people would come up
with goofy ones, like watch television more, that's all.  Thanks for your post.