[lit-ideas] New Orleans... I'm not dead yet!

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:51:47 -0400

This is in some instances WORSE than that tsunami because as the media tell us "Katrina is aiming her sights on New Orleans". This isn't just manslaughter, this is murder with malice aforethought. This is disaster in the first degree. This isn't just some storm. This is deliberate.

CNN is reporting that the hurricane is not only 'battering the coast' but actually pushing oil prices over the 70 dollars a barrel. What a powerful storm indeed. Yeah, yeah, that's the reason. It has nothing to do with people's profligate consumption of energy or the instability of the Middle East... it's a STORM.

Probably the most poignant of all quotes is from New Orleans' citizen Nancy Noble [a fine name] "Have God on your side, definitely have God on your side". That about sums it up.

I wonder if there will be world concerts for the New Orleans' disaster relief fund?
What colour will the elastic bracelet be?

listening to the tragically hip, amazed.