========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: New Orleans
Date: 9/1/05 3:53:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _goya@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:goya@xxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:

Le 1 sept. 05, à 10:15, Andreas Ramos a écrit  :

>> Hurricane Katrina was, says one German minister, America's own  fault.
>
> The political fallout over Katrina has  started.
>
> Looting is out of control. Hospitals are evacuated, but  not protected
> against looters. Bush, passing over New Orleans at 25,000  feet, looked
> out of his window from his comfy first-class seating.  Accusations and
> "i-told-you-so" are piling up over failure to improve  the levies,
> unenforced environmental regulations at the refineries and  chemical
> plants (and thus the massive toxic brew in the flood waters),
> siphoning off of funds from US projects to Iraq, crony jobs in FEMA,
> lack of preparation, lack of organization, and so on.

M.C.  Having watched the coverage on the major TV news networks, I note
that while  there have been lots of complaints about the slowness of
response to and  help for the victims, nobody seems to have considered
the impact of the fact  that 40,000 National Guardsmen - some 3500 of
them from Mississipi alone -  are currently making Iraq safe for
Haliburton, instead of being back home  where they could help their
fellow citizens. Some of the 100,000 or so  regular army troops, not to
mention their equipment, might have come in  handy in New Orleans as
well.

Michael  Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76