[lit-ideas] Re: New Iranian Fatwa: Religious Law Does Not Forbid Use of Nuclear Weapons

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:30:30 -0500

Lawrence Helm quotes:

"'The spiritual leaders of the ultra-conservatives [in Iran] have
accepted the use of nuclear weapons as lawful in the eyes of shari'a.
Mohsen Gharavian, a disciple of [Ayatollah] Mesbah Yazdi [who is Iranian
President Ahmadinejad's spiritual mentor], has spoken for the first time
of using nuclear weapons as a counter-measure. He stated that 'in terms
of shari'a, it all depends on the goal.'"

I have a picture of me standing with Mesbah.  Imagine, if you will, a
room full of academics, a dozen of whom are pacifist Christians, in
discussion with a similar number of 'ultra-conservative' mullahs of
Iran, all hosted by Mesbah and his education institute.  It was surreal
then and seems even more surreal now.  Mesbah was a very generous and
gracious host, but he had a very skewed understanding of the West.

The growing conflict with Iran troubles me.  The Iranians I met were
friendly and generous to a fault.  Yet, I have no doubt that the
Iranians are desperately trying to develop nuclear weapons.  Iran must
not be allowed to have nuclear weapons but it pains me to think that the
friends I have there might suffer for it.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON