[lit-ideas] Re: National Symbols

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:21:52 -0500

At 09:10 PM 2/2/2006, you wrote:

I have noticed that the Japanese value their Samurai in about the same way
we value our Western Cowboy gun-fighter.

So what did you think of Brokeback Mountain?

It's VASTLY over-rated. I can't believe the Oscar picks this year -- even worse than last year. I watched "Munich" last night hoping to like it, but I was positively BORED halfway through.

"Mrs. Henderson Presents" was even more boring than "Munich" -- but I'm sick of period pieces and Dench's yearly token nomination (must nominate a REAL actress -- whatever!)

and "North Country" is at best, a tv movie, albeit an important one. While McDormand's performance was admirable, Theron is resting on her laurels. She was competent, but not oscar worthy.

Capote is the only one that I think is even in the right place. Hoffman is amazing as TC and the movie is a lot more interesting than the other ones.

The 8 nominations for BBM are clearly a 'message' as to what is IN this year. At least "Transamerica" had a point and was a good movie. BBM was just not a great movie. Being 'audacious' and even then, Lee wasn't that much, is not a reason to win the best picture award. Unfortunately, it probably will.

amateur movie critic,