[lit-ideas] Nation Building

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 00:43:16 EST

_http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060207/ts_nm/hurricanes_aid_dc;_ylt=Ag2Z6yyxjX55
z_qLc_BMdOYDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl_
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060207/ts_nm/hurricanes_aid_dc;_ylt=Ag2Z6yyxjX55z_qLc_BMdOYDW7oF;_ylu=
X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)
Mayor: New Orleans will seek aid from other nations

By Michael DeppMon Feb 6, 7:24 PM ET

Shortcomings in aid from the U.S. government are making New Orleans Mayor Ray
 Nagin look to other nations for help in rebuilding his hurricane-damaged
city.
Nagin, who has hosted a steady stream of foreign dignitaries since Hurricane
Katrina hit in late August, says he may seek international assistance because
 U.S. aid has not been sufficient to get the city back on its feet.
"I know we had a little disappointment earlier with some signals we're
getting from Washington but the international community may be able to fill the

gap," Nagin said when a delegation of French government and business officials
passed through on Friday to explore potential business partnerships.
Jordan's King Abdullah also visited New Orleans on Friday and Nagin said he
would encourage foreign interests to help redevelop some of the areas hardest
hit by the storm.
"France can take Treme. The king of Jordan can take the Lower Ninth Ward," he
 said, referring to two of the city's neighborhoods.
Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city and killed more than 1,300 people in
Louisiana and Mississippi.
The Bush administration has pledged billions of dollars to Katrina victims
but five months after the storm, New Orleans remains largely in ruins.
Nagin said his message to President George W. Bush would be that the federal
government needs to refocus on the devastated area.
"We need your undivided attention over the next six months," he said. "We
need backup. We need for you to make the words that you spoke in Jackson Square

a reality."
Nagin was referring to the president's September 15 address to the nation
from New Orleans, in which he pledged "we will do what it takes, we will stay
as
 long as it takes" to rebuild.
French Transport Minister Dominique Perben, leading the French delegation to
a city that was founded by France in 1718, said, "This catastrophe has deeply
 upset the French people and the French government."
France, Perben said through a translator, "wants to be a long-term partner
for Louisiana and New Orleans."

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.  Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited  without the prior
written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for  any errors or
delays
in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance  thereon.
Copyright © 2006  Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
_Questions or Comments_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12emdus9n/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=7666528:FOOT/_ylt=AgYmPrgKtXJpov_qPvAeTupg.3QA/Y=YA
HOO/EXP=1139298124/A=1030392/R=1/SIG=1124ddvo1/*http://help.yahoo.com/help/new
s/)
_Privacy Policy_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12emdus9n/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=7666528:FOOT/_ylt=AgYmPrgKtXJpov_qPvAeTupg.3QA/Y=YAHOO/EXP
=1139298124/A=1030392/R=2/SIG=11a1ak88p/*http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/n
ews)  -_Terms of Service_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12emdus9n/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=7666528:FOOT/_ylt=AgYmPrgKtXJpov_qPvAeTupg.3QA/Y=
YAHOO/EXP=1139298124/A=1030392/R=3/SIG=1136qnvkg/*http://docs.yahoo.com/info/t
erms/)  - _Copyright/IP Policy_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12emdus9n/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=7666528:FOOT/_ylt=AgYmPrgKtXJpov_qPvAeTupg.
3QA/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1139298124/A=1030392/R=4/SIG=11lp7krrc/*http://docs.yahoo.com/
info/copyright/copyright.html)  - _Ad  Feedback_ (javascript:ADFlaunch())