[lit-ideas] Re: NRA?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:21:27 -0800

Actually we did ourselves harm in the eyes of the Islamists by turning the
other cheek time after time during the Reagan, Bush Sr & Clinton
administrations.  The Islamist ideologues have openly accused us of not
having the courage to fight them.  Sure we've got technology and can bomb
them from 30,000 feet but we haven't the courage to fight them man to man.
Whereas they aren't afraid to die.

That viewpoint was expressed many times in Islamist speeches.  Osama said it
often.  The predominant view in the Middle East is that in the first Gulf
War we chickened out when Saddam drew his tanks back to Baghdad and prepared
to fight us.

I would have thought that our current war in Iraq would have dampened those
arguments, but we still hear them, hardly changed:  Look at the American
papers.  They have a few casualties and all they do is cry about it; whereas
we have many more and our proud.  They will not have the stomach for a long
war.  We are sure to win in the long run.  There is no end to such
arguments; however in practical terms our war in Iraq has done wonders
toward quieting the general (man in the street) militant fervor.

The Iranians believe they are smarter than the Iraqis.  They think Saddam
should have waited until he had a nuke before engaging in his wars of
conquest.  Once Iran gets its nuke, they think, then the U.S. won't dare
interfere with their Islamist goals.  After all, they haven't interfered
with North Korea.  NK was smart.  Saddam was stupid.  We're going to be
smart.

Lawrence