[lit-ideas] Re: NRA?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:57:25 -0800

Ta Da!  You didn't even wait for it but went right ahead.

Okay, got it.  People who believe in national defense have a "gun worshiping
mentality."  This includes our founding fathers, and all those who
subsequently fought and gave their lives for the defense of our nation.

My views are consistent with those of the founding fathers.  The views that
we can rely on pacifism or some imagined good will of those who promise to
bury us is new.  The founding fathers seem not to be familiar with such
views -- or if they were they didn't take them seriously.  Such views have
no basis in history or reality.

Do you not strike back verbally when you are attacked?  Of course you do.
I've seen you do it many times.  It is human to do so.  We talk the same way
we live.  You defend yourself verbally, just as all humans do, and not just
verbally.  That defense ought to be restricted to the verbal realm is a
rather recent and not well thought out argument.  As is the appeal to a
non-existent world government.

Lawrence