[lit-ideas] Re: NEW TO THE LIST - ALEXANDER JORGENSEN

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:54:23 -0800

AJ,

Many on this list have a predilection for short enigmatic sentences; so you
should fit right in.

One might wonder if you are a recent graduate thoroughly disenchanted with
those politically correct but subpar writers whom Harold Bloom denigrates,
writers that perhaps no one on Lit-Ideas has bothered to read.  Or perhaps
you have written something of your own that has been rejected by
(incestuous) publishers who only seem to publish writers they already
publish.  So let's hear about the BS.  Do you mean writers who
pessimistically write about life in the faculty lounge, midlife crises, abd
the most complex and interestingly destructive recent affair?  If so, no one
here seems to be afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Now as to JB's disparaging remark about our sporadic fits of martial
passion, speaking as one given to such fits (most here don't have them), let
me remind him that the father of Western Literature was the very martial
Homer; who demonstrated that a martial spirit is not incompatible with the
creation of great literature.

Lawrence