[lit-ideas] "My Father Was Parmenides" (Plato)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:44:55 EDT

Some scholars are still considering the obscure  dictum in "De Soph." by
Plato, "My father was Parmenides".

Was he being  metaphorical, or hyperbolic?

There are NOT many cases of philosopher  father, philosopher son -- perhaps
Galen Strawson is the most important. Grice's  son, Timothy, wrote a DPhil
for Oxon, too -- "But when people say Gricean they  usually mean my father".

Philippa Foot's father -- as he a  philosopher?

JL Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina

fingertips.