[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice/99%

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:32:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 27/1/11, Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In fact, I would argue that 99% of what we believe and how we conduct our
>lives is through prejudice.
We were taught how to conceive the world and we experience it as we were
taught.>

Though '99' has always had a firm place in post-decimal popular culture [take
pricing, the ice cream flake, spooning and Nina's red balloons] its use in
epistemology has lagged behind. Nevertheless KP in "Towards an Evolutionary
Theory of Knowledge", at p.46 of "A World of Propensities", also adopts a 99%
guesstimate:

"I think that, say, 99% of the knowledge of all organisms is inborn and
incorporated in our biochemical constitution."

This claim is made in the following longer excerpted passage:-

"Using this Kantian terminology with the modifications I have just indicated,
we can now say that Kant's own position - highly revolutionary at the time - is
this.

(A) Most knowledge of detail, of the momentary state of our surroundings, is _a
posteriori_.

(B) But such _a posteriori_ knowledge is impossible without _a priori_
knowledge that we somehow _must_ possess before we can acquire observational or
_a posteriori_ knowledge: without it, _what our senses tell us can make no
sense_. We must establish an overall frame of reference, or else there will be
no context available to make sense of our sensations.

(C) This _a priori_ knowledge contains, especially, knowledge of the structure
of space and time (of space and time relations), and of causality (of causal
relations).

I think that, in all these points, Kant is right. (Incidentally, I also think
that he had hardly a real successor in this except Schopenhauer). In my
opinion, Kant anticipated the most important results of the evolutionary theory
of knowledge.

But I am going much further than Kant. I think that, say, 99 per cent of the
knowledge of all organisms is inborn and incorporated in our biochemical
constitution. And I think that 99 per cent of the knowledge taken by Kant to be
_a posteriori_ and to be '_data_' that are 'given' to us through our senses is,
in fact, not _a posteriori_ , but _a priori_. For our senses can serve us (as
Kant himself saw) only with yes-and-no answers to our own questions; questions
that we conceive, and ask, _a priori_; and questions that sometimes are very
elaborate. Moreover, even the yes-and-no answers of the senses have to be
_interpreted_ by us - interpreted in the light of our _a priori_ preconceived
ideas. And, of course, they are often _misinterpreted_."

Incidentally, these two last published lectures, "Dedicated to the memory of my
dear wife, Hennie", were somewhat sniffily dismissed (afair in _Mind_) as
reminding the academic reviewer of the last gasp of a dying supernovae. In the
"Preface", Popper expressed his "wish to convey to my readers that I have
worked hard to make them the best....grateful to have been able to do this in
my 87th and 88th year, despite the drawbacks of failing memory."

Recalling the legal firm that had "without prejudice" on all their headed
notepaper