[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:25:58 +0000 (GMT)

> Judith's prejudice was that she
> thought I was implying that she "was using 'prejudice' in
> [an exclusively] derogatory sense."

I thought you were seeking to use it in a non-derogatory sense, I use it in a
derogatory sense, yes.  If you want to continue to try to argue that
prejudice is not

a prejudgment, an assumption made about someone or something before having
adequate knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

carry on....

> A true story about Muslim prejudice:

I read your story about 20 doctors in a hospital, the Christian doctors working
on Christmas Day if they had to, the Jewish doctors working on, well I see you
aren't sure, but you say, "their holidays", if they had to, and the Muslims
"categorically demand(ing) Ramadan off".  I call BS: Ramadan is a month long.

You may mean Eid ul-Fitr, a three-day holiday marking the end of Ramadan. Some
British businesses and schools in heavily Muslim neighbourhoods give a day off
for that. I have never heard of Muslim doctors here asking for it off (they
could probably arrange time off, though, of course, as part of leave) and I
think our tabloids would have let us all know if they have.

So, we have a story of yours that's decidedly shaky, but if it were true, would
be a story about an unreasonable demand that was refused.