[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:10:58 -0500

Ursula:This is exactly the reason that so many writers write so passionately
about the importance of libraries in their young lives.

When I first came to this country, I used to hang around the library and the
Detroit Institute of Arts.  I couldn't read in any language.  No matter, it
felt good to be there, the librarians smiled a lot and I could look at books
with pictures.  And it had a certain scent.  A little like office supply stores
when they were small and privately owned.
Long before I could afford books, I bought comic books.  Some of which were
versions of the classics.  Imagine my surprise and delight when I learned that
there were whole books that told a lot more than the comic books.

I still love libraries, work there as a volunteer in the book shop and go there
with my own book, sometimes electronic, to read.  I like the peace and quiet
and lack of car noise.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI