[lit-ideas] Re: Muslim Prejudice

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:51:42 -0500

> Eric: Prejudice is NOT by definition "a form of unjustified and
> > false belief." It is rather a blanket judgment about a group
> > or class of people or things that has developed as a result
> > of the experiences of the prejudiced person
>
> Judy: I have never seen a definition of prejudice -- pre-judgment -- that
> did not in some way accord with Donal's suggestion, rather than yours.  Can
> you link to a dictionary definition that matches yours?

Wikipedia: "Prejudices are abstract-general preconceptions or
abstract-general attitudes towards any type of situations, object, or
person."

Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate: [second definition]  "preconceived judgment
or opinion"

See? It is still possible to discuss "prejudice" without immediately
imposing the conditioned moral aversion terminology. Thus one may discuss
how social prejudices arise from commonly observed behavior and become
generalizations.