[lit-ideas] Re: Mujahedin-e Khalq profile

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:08:34 -0700

Omar,

The article you posted below is pretty much what I understood about the MEK
(or Mojahedin as Mohaddessin prefers to call them) except that your article
doesn't have the fact that the organization has renounced terror and is now
opposing the present Iranian regime diplomatically.

Here is an interesting interview of Mohaddessin by the Middle East Quarterly
(  <http://www.meforum.org/article/267> http://www.meforum.org/article/267 )
two years after Mohaddessin published his book.  You will see that
Mohaddessin claims that the Mojahedin proposes to set up a democratic
government in Iran should they ever be in a position to do so.

I read the puzzling article you posted earlier:
<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HD28Ak02.html>
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HD28Ak02.html in which, Hamid
Dabashi, claims the present regime in Iran has a "democratic process" that
we need to patiently allow to work.  I don't know what he means by that.
I'm not aware of any such process.  If he means that the pro-Western
Iranians will somehow overthrow the present regime and set up a democratic
process, I believe most of us have given up on that.   We hoped it would
happen but now we don't think it will.  If Dabashi is still hoping that, I
would like to read his evidence.  You will see in the MEQ interview that
Mohaddessin doesn't think that is possible - the interview occurred in 1995
but since that time increasing numbers of those who oppose the regime have
been jailed, executed or have fled the country.  The pro-democratic forces
in present-day Iran are even less likely to overthrow the present regime
than at the time of the MEQ interview with Mohaddessin.

Lawrence