[lit-ideas] Re: Movie

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:51:45 -0230

Gospodsi bozhimoy, pomiluy nas! There's obviously only one Russian ear on this
List. (Yes, I'm deaf in one ear.) None of the offered hypotheses on phonetics
or transliteration are correct. There is no soft "t" in Russian, there is only
one "t," as in "Tanya" or "Toronto." The purportedly soft "t" is a completely
different letter. And that is the letter in the Russian infinitive "to kill."
(And we won't even mention the Russian soft "r" as in "tsarina.")

Valodsya Akshevsky
Zhivago Chair of Translation and Interpretation Sciences
University of Lower Odessa, Rossia