[lit-ideas] Re: Motive, and the quality of foreign policy

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 03:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

One could hardly draw general conclusions about
politics and statesmanship from one example, i.e.
Chamberlain and Churchill, however often it is
invoked. What of the US policy toward the Soviet Union
and the Communist China, for example ? Apart from a
couple of military adventures like Korea and Vietnam,
where the US faired rather poorly, much of the US
policy toward the Communist block could be described
as appeasement. It seems also that these policies were
more successful than starting a nuclear war.

Also, while you may find historical examples of
leaders who were personally virtous but bad or
unsuccessful statesmen, there is no shortage of
leaders who were NOT personally virtous and were also
bad statesmen.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com