[lit-ideas] Re: More places to nuke

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:44:30 -0500

Robert: When there's a power blackout in New York, the lights may still be on in Fargo.

But if people in New York or Fargo have new weapons, whether the light goes off or stays on for them, or if lights go off in both places, they will keep the new weapons.

The Chinese Emperor may burn all the writings that predated him, but he will keep knowledge of how to make the best weapons.

At least that's how I understand Koestler's point. (You're right of course that the examples I supplied from memory of the book are parochial.)