[lit-ideas] Re: More Translation Opportunities, Especially for the Welsh

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 23:22:59 +0100 (BST)

I do love Kathleen Battle's voice.

English rugby players and fans have sung Swing Low Sweet Chariot for ages.
It's been an unofficial anthem ever since this (cut, it's a bit long)

Cut to Douai Abbey, Upper Woolhampton, Reading, England... 'Swing Low Sweet
Chariot' has long since been the song of the 1st-XV of the Douai rugby team. No
one is now sure how this came to be,...
On 18th March 1988 a group of students from the Douai team attended the England
V Ireland rugby match at Twickenham. They were bunched in front of the lower
east stand. Whenever an England player was in with a chance of scoring the
'merry' band of students would pipe up with 'their' anthem. They delivered this
with particular vigour when Nigerian-born wing Chris Oti ran in his first try
for England. Inspired by the response and amusement of the spectators
immediately around them the students struck up with added gusto as Chris Oti
scored a second try. By the time the player, now on a roll, scored his try-hat
trick the chorus reached such a crescendo that, seemingly, the whole of the
England supporters joined in and an anthem was born.
http://www.everyhit.com/stories/swing_low_sweet_chariot.html

I've seen part of this story elsewhere.

It's now England's semi-official World Cup Anthem.

Judy Evans, Cardiff