[lit-ideas] Re: Morc Huck Pump

  • From: palma@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:14:12 -0400 (EDT)

if youcan read MORGUE in German, that is my advice, in literary terms
coelh, I eve tried to read.. Quatsch...On
Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Eric Yost wrote:

>  >>Benn's review of Rilke
>
> Read Gottfried's _Primal Vision_ long ago but the contents didn't stick
> in memory, just the gray, trade paperback cover. It could've been the
> translation.
>
> Maybe translation causes some texts to seem much more interesting, or
> alternately much less interesting, than they really are. For example, I
> have been assured that _The Alchemist_ by Paulo Coelho is considered
> absolute garbage in Brazilian Portuguese and is widely despised there,
> Yet his book is very popular in the US.
>
> Even less interestingly, there's a book called  _The Technological
> Unconscious in German Modernist Literature: Nature in Rilke, Benn,
> Brecht, and Döblin (Studies in German Literature Linguistics and
> Culture)_ by Larson Powell. I can imagine that reading such a work would
> be like sleeping in a graveyard in late autumn. Not even dogs for
> company and a skittish wind like the end of Chopin's second sonata ...
> plus literary theory.
>
> With grim resolve,
> Eric
>

> _____
>
> The novel of ideas. The novel of manners. The novel of grim witness. The
> novel of pure dreaming. The novel of excess. The novel of unreadability.
> The comic novel. The romance novel. The epistolary novel. The promising
> first novel. The sad, patchwork, grave-robbing, over-my-dead-body
> posthumous novel. The suspense novel. The crime novel. The experimental
> novel. The historical novel. The novel of meticulous observations. The
> novel of marital revenge. The beach novel. The war novel. The antiwar
> novel. The postwar novel. The out-of-print novel. The novel that sells
> to the movies before it is written. The novel that critics like to say
> they want to throw across the room. The science fiction novel. The
> metafiction novel. The death of the novel. The novel that changes your
> life because you are young and open-hearted and eager to take an
> existential leap.
>
> - Don DeLillo, from "A History of the Writer Alone in a Room" (1999)

off address: #201 West Building, Philosophy, Duke University
box 90743, Durham, NC 27708
home ph#: [1] 9196881856
cellph#: [1[] 9195997065 (voicemail is available on said numbers)
email palma@xxxxxxxx