[lit-ideas] Re: Misunderstanding The information Age

But my point was really much more mundane. Surely we can't and shouldn't evaluate threats based on what Eric himself acknowledged was public posturing. Eric may be, and probably is, right about the Chinese interest in waging cyber war but we don't help ourselves by taking seriously rhetoric that can only be for domestic consumption.

___

I can't evaluate any of the threats because I lack the technical expertise. On would have to be at a high level of skill to correctly evaluate some of the claims. Maybe Teemu or Andreas?

From an amateur perspective, I will add this. I have security software installed on my computer that alerts me to certain types of port scans, as well as tracing software that goes after the IP hops of the source of the port scans. [Caution: don't do this. It will make you unnecessarily paranoid about the Internet.]

Most of these port-scans I examined were background noise and spiderbots, but some of the more persistent ones I kept in a file and backtraced. Nine out of ten of them came from China. For some reason, Chinese railroad company servers were often used. Finally, I went through the drudge work of blocking the entire IP-range of China. Port scans dropped away like the clothing of a honeymooner. Now I only have a few, a couple from Egypt and some US high-speed sources.