[lit-ideas] Re: Misunderstanding The information Age

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:36:57 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"I don't know, but China's capacity [to shut down the U.S.'s economy]
certainly cannot be pushed out of mind. The general
prospects for cyberwar and netwar, however, seem increasingly likely..."

Given the global nature of the U.S. economy, it strikes me as
counter-productive to shut it down.  China itself and their allies are
heavily invested in that economy.  Furthermore, it seems to me that the
cyber war is already on and that it does not involve shutting anything down
but rather stealing information.

But my point was really much more mundane. Surely we can't and shouldn't
evaluate threats based on what Eric himself acknowledged was public
posturing.  Eric may be, and probably is, right about the Chinese interest
in waging cyber war but we don't help ourselves by taking seriously rhetoric
that can only be for domestic consumption.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON