[lit-ideas] Re: Milton translated (as prose?)

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:36:35 +0900

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paraphrasing Marcus Aurelius, Shakespeare has Hamlet say: "For there is
> nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Is pandering the issue here? Or a service to readers like the provided by
the famous Loeb editions of the classics in which an English translation is
on facing pages across from the original Greek or Latin? Or, perhaps a
better example, like my edition of the Four Classics, which includes
extensive footnotes and a modern Chinese translation as well as the original
classical Chinese?
Why, I wonder, have we leapt to the conclusion that the work in question is
intended for classrooms? Might it not be a scholar's gift to fellow
bibliophiles, who will welcome the opportunity to compare his, apparently
deeply expert, take with their own?

John

--
John McCreery