[lit-ideas] Re: Milton translated (as prose?)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:13:19 -0800

On Dec 2, 2008, at 12:02 AM, Eric Yost wrote:

It's like the opposite of instant coffee ... the labor of a lifetime.

There are some periods of cultural transition when it just doesn't pay not to be an infuriated Godzilla on a rampage in Tokyo.

"Ultimately it falls into a place of privilege," is what someone said on day two or possibly three, in all seriousness, adding, "I'm curious if the work references entropy or exchange value."

Ah, thesis week.

Perhaps the best measure of the badness of a correspondent in the modern era is inches, as in how many inches within the "in" box does one have to go to find the e mail one is replying to? More than X, makes a bad correspondent unless, of course, there are extending circumstances--three spams of such a sort allow one to pull a card from the community chest and possibly stay out of the dean's office.

Someone off-list asked me about a teaching prize and bemoaned the fact that her car won't start. It occurred to me that cross- fertilization here could be key. "Because of my ability *in* a clutch situation, could the college please award me a clutch? And for giving an earnest student a break when he confused homonyms, I'm wondering about a brake job? Also, since enlightenment is our goal...a new set of halogens?"

Among the experiences of three days of thesis proposals and oral defenses was one great one, a Reed student who had worried me immensely and who took considerable guidance. But what goes in always has a chance of bearing interest on the way out. I was delighted by that rare experience of a student taking everything in and giving something better back. Of course we act as if this were the normal form of university exchange, but it's actually something to be savored. My other students generally did well--I went to all their defences--and so, though tired at the end, I felt that good had been achieved. On Tuesday I'll get to hand their writing to my colleague and to read what his students produced. Is there no end to fun?

Today I took my father to my favorite thrift store. I wish I could tell you that he scored at least as well as I have in the past, but just as one cannot teach a lifetime of fly fishing knowledge to another generation in an instant, one must go slowly when it comes to introducing someone to thrift store hunter- gathering. He bought a Nordstrom's sweater for seventeen dollars, not a bad buy for someone unused to the experience.

Last night we watched, "The Other Boleyn Girl." I cannot recommend it. Earlier in the week we tried, "Flawless," which at least has Michael Caine in it. This evening the library offered us, "Mad Money." Again... We took him to a cinema to see, "Burn After Opening," which was middling good Coen brothers, a movie that leads exactly like a joke up to the punch line. They should have called it, "Quite A Long Joke."

No snow here, only wind from the east, which means cold after dark. Do carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon