[lit-ideas] Re: Mike's acumen in judging Spencer

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:08:51 -0700

Who would Jesus bomb?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 6:29 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Mike's acumen in judging Spencer

As I said previously, I haven't read these books and doubt that I ever will, so I can't comment on them specifically. I can, however, state my belief that the titles of the books give me little hope that they are a serious critique of Islam, but rather the assertions of a bigot in pursuit of a personal agenda. You realize don't you, Lawrence, that there are one and a half billion Muslims in the world. To try to characterize Islam is about as meaningful and trying to characterize Christianity. One can sumarize a few common beliefs among the multitude of Christian sects, but the import of those beliefs in the moral and ethical life of the adherents is so disparate as to be meaningless.. The assertion that Christianity is a religion of peace is laughable. >From the time of Charlemagne to the Peace of Westphalia was a period of relentless bloodletting by the Christian Church. Heretics, Jews, Muslims, witches, infidels, for a thousand years all were butchered in furtherance of the Christian faiths. Just 60 years ago the Christian nations of Europe (and America) threw themselves into an orgy of death of destruction unparrelled in human history. Peaceful? We do tolerate each other's beliefs now -- somewhat -- but not because Christianity is peaceful, rather because the peoples of the Western nations threw off the yoke of religious leadership for secular leadership.

Is that what you think, Mike? That the Christians shouldn't have opposed the onward expansive march of Islam? That would explain a lot if that's what you think, since that is what present day Islamism is about, i.e., resuming Mohammad's Jihad that is supposed to end only when the entire world has bowed its knee to Allah and Mohammad.<<

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this isn't a serious question.

The last title [The Truth about Muhammad: Founder of the World's Most Intolerant Religion.] suggests that Spencer is going to be critical of Mohammad himself...But what is there in this that makes Mike think Spencer an intolerant bigot? Because he attacks the founder of a religion and the religion itself?<<

The title of the book, Lawrence, says it all.  Surely even you can see that.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: Lawrence Helm
 From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Wed, Aug-8-2007 1:30 PM
 Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: One of the better fatwa's
 LH:
>>If I have offended your Leftist sympathies for the Jihadists and Islamists, feel free to send me your fatwa.

No, you haven't offended my leftist sympathies for anyone or anything, I was just curious as to why you sent the post. Was it just another rant against Islamists? That's what I assumed at first, but then you did quote from someone as if that were evidence of something. -- I couldn't figure out what the something is. I've never heard of Spencer so I can't comment on whether or not I think the lawsuit is justified or not. The titles of his books suggest that he is an intolerant bigot, but one can't go by that, perhaps he was being ironic. If your motive was to get a good laugh at the idiot who spoke of ripping Spencer's spine, etc, well, you know, we have Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter, they have their idiots as well. Trash talking is the solace of the impotent. I pay it no mind.

   From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Date: Wed, Aug-8-2007 12:14 PM
   What's your point, Lawrence?