[lit-ideas] Re: Mike and Schopenhauer

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:01:33 -0500

Robert Paul wrote:

. . . .I grant that if one attains a state of nirvana one will not be troubled by what happens in the material world. This is true by definition. But when S[chopenhauer]. complains, nay, asserts, in his essays that life is a bitch, he's talking, as far as I can tell, about human life as it is possible to live it. Noise would not have troubled him had he attained a state of nirvana and no philosophical argument which appeals to merely possible states will relieve us from suffering in actual ones.

All writing is essentially optimistic.. One cannot write, and especially one cannot PUBLISH, without thinking that somehow what one says will make some kind of difference. Even when a philosopher seems entirely pessimistic, there is still something about "the truth" (as they conceive it) that prompts them to attempt to reveal it to others. This epistemological optimism seems more fundamental than any partial pessimism, and renders all pessimistic authors as suspect.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA