[lit-ideas] Re: Mike and Schopenhauer

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:34:13 -0400

That's what Dawkins calls life on Earth. Survival machines are what carry the
selfish genes. I'm slowly making my way through the book. It's easy to read and
I like it, I just don't have time to read much of it. Even without Dawkins,
however, it's evident that plants and animals are simply biochemical machines.
They can be nothing else. My cynical Schopenhauer-admiring self tells me that
the argument below is a distraction, a decoy away from the illustration of
Schopenhauer's philosophical position as advanced on this list and which I
second heartily, that life on Earth is so bleak that even optimism occurs in
the form of rejoicing at someone else's destruction.