[lit-ideas] Re: Middle East

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:05:53 -0000

Did you read the whole piece, Eric?  "Arab" is there for a reason
(I'll say more
about that, perhaps, later).

> It's militant Islamic culture that wants the whole world to be
like it
> is.

the piece is about how best to deal with certain countries in the
Middle
East not all of whose citizens support "militant Islamic culture"
(nor do they think
the whole world should be like them -- whatever you think that
means)

as you instance Iran and Saudi, I'll note that Tehran women,
unlike those in Iraq these days, often wear fairly vibrant
clothing plus a head scarf, and Saudi women are gaining
more freedoms by the day. (Not nearly enough, and slowly.)

Do the
> universities in Riyadh or Tehran have departments of Western or
American
> studies?

The University of Tehran has an Institute for North American and
European
Studies (and a Centre for Women's Studies).  Its members take
part in
international conferences. Here's the Institute's web page

http://inaes.ut.ac.ir/

(here's the Centre's

http://cws.ut.ac.ir/)

I don't read Arabic so can't tell tell what's at Riyadh -- it
does have some kind
of Centre for Women's Studies but it wasn't clear whether it's as
"Western"
as the Tehran one.

Judy Evans, Cardiff