[lit-ideas] Re: Mercedes Paul

kadish, pour Robert

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Robert Paul wrote:

Today, my mother, had she lived, would have been 109. She was born in the same year as Gilbert Ryle, but outlived him. (They never met.)

She was born in Moscow, Idaho, and was named Ethel Mercedes Jones. She disliked the name Ethel, and soon dispensed with it, becoming thereafter Mercedes Jones, and later Mercedes Jones Paul. She taught high school English, and journalism, for many years, and it was mostly from her that I learned to care about words and what can be done with them. For a long time after she died, in August 1984, I found myself reaching for the telephone to call her whenever I got stuck on an arcane (or just an ordinary) point of grammar.

She read aloud to me every night, even after I could easily have read what was being read to me on my own. Often, she read to both me and my older cousin, Bill. She would collapse with laughter whenever she got to the part of Winnie-the-Pooh, in which Pooh gets his head stuck in the honey jar.

Bill died last month, in Hailey, Idaho. I am now the oldest Jones cousin.

Robert Paul

?e ??, ?????e?? ?a?eda?µ?????? ? ? ? ?t? t?de
?e?µe?a, t??? ?e???? ??µas? pe???µe???.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.