[lit-ideas] Men: Dick Heads One And All.

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:56:50 -0500

You'll find a Chronology of Congressional Sex Scandals complied by John Dean at http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/congsexscandals.html

It only goes up to 2001 so you won't find Mark Foley or Larry Craig there. And it's only Congressional, so no Bill Clinton or Thomas Jefferson or Grover Cleveland or Warren G. Harding, or Franklin Roosevelt or Dwight Eisenhower or John F. Kennedy. Nor any of the televangelists like Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart or Ted Haggard.

The first sex scandal I can remember paying any attention to was the Profumo Affair, it seriously damaged the Harold MacMillian government. I was 19 at the time and found the British public's reaction exceedingly odd. I thought all the Puritans had emigrated to America. Perhaps the fact that he was Secretary of War and she was also the mistress of a Russian spy had something to do with it. Or maybe it was the fact that he lied about the affair. Don't know. Don't care. Just amused.

When J. Edgar Hoover revealed tapes of Martin Luther King's sexual dalliances, the country reacted with a yawn. I was immensely surprised and pleased. Maybe it was because King's significance was perceived as being so much larger and historical than the wink-wink sexual mores of a sybaritic society. Or maybe racism worked to his advantage and people expected as much from a black man. Don't know. Don't care. Just glad.

Not glad that Spitzer was so stupid. How rare that a man dedicated to justice could rise to a position to authority to really make a difference! Didn't the stupid fuck know that all the resources of capitalism would be reigned against him? How dare he throw away this once in a century chance to purge the financial world of its tapeworms just to tickle his prick. God, men are such dick heads!

In the last 24 hours I've read several opinion pieces speculating on why alpha male types can't keep their flies zipped. All hog wash. God designed all men to self-destruct. It's the only way to keep politics and religion and the work place interesting. God loves titillation too.

Just had to input, sorry.
Mike Geary
Memphis