[lit-ideas] Re: Medscape Poll

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 01:38:03 EDT

Here hospitals are required to admit people with accident and  emergency
treatment.  They are simply billed thousands of dollars after  discharge.  If
they
cannot pay up they are sued.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Medscape Poll
Date: 5/15/06 4:50:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here Accident and Emergency treatment is free at  point of entry
(i.e. I suppose non-citizens might be billed  afterwards).  Other
treatment
is supposed to be free (at point of  entry) to citizens (+other
legal
residents) only.   There are  though stories, some documented, of
people from the US,  and others,  coming here for treatment.

My GPs now have a poster saying people may be  required to
show proof of entitlement to treatment.

> Doctors know  what an extreme burden the illegals are putting
> on the  system,

How great is the "burden" as a total of health spending?  To  what
extent is
it offset by the work the immigrants carry out? Does it  include
health
services to illegal immigrants who pay taxes?

Judy  Evans, Cardiff