[lit-ideas] Re: Medical pricing

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 03:43:29 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Paul" <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>

> What Judy's saying isn't entirely
> clear

Certain private hospitals here (perhaps, most) charge "self-payers"
less than they'd "charge" someone with private health insurance
(whose insurance company would be paying).   That's for an op. but also,
certain NHS consultants who also work in private hospitals will -- like the
man
who charged me 40/60 per cent of his usual consultation+test fee -- drop
their
fees for "self-payers".   I assume this is a mix of deduction for cash and
helpfulness
towards people who aren't rich who either lack insurance or whose insurance
is insufficiently
comprehensive.

I don't know whether totally private doctors (of whom there are few) do the
same.

Obviously the NHS remains free.

I hope that's clear.

Judy Evans, Cardiff