[lit-ideas] Re: Medical pricing

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:01:05 -0800

> DR>> Here you can't do that.

ck: Where is "here"?
In the US, independent doctors can and do slash their fees for cash
payments, for instance. Many see uninsured patients for less $, if you ask
them. It all depends on the setting.

And today, for the first time in years, I heard about someone who negotiated
cheaper lab fees. (Patient had to sign a disclaimer, though.) Of course,
pharmacists have been negotiating drug prices with individual customers, or
small groups (a local nursing home, for instance) for quite some time now.
Medicine--the docs, drugs, and testing--is going underground. I haven't yet
seen anyone hawking prescription drugs on the streetcorner, but recycling
unused drugs for a small fraction of their original consumer cost is pretty
common around here.

Carol