[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:12:21 +0100

Eric Yost schrieb:
Joerg: ... over here, someone with your "world-view" would easily qualify as a neo-Nazi, and be banned from public life: that's not a "clash of cultures", it's just drawing the line between civilisation and barbarianism.

Eric: I let this pass too easily, so redux.
That's right, you slipped away like jelly through a fork
Let me get this straight: in modern Germany, if someone advocated killing active terrorists, they would qualify as neo-Nazis and be banned from public life? That can't be right, can it? If that's what you really meant, it's almost too weird and fascist for a reply ... almost.
In modern Europe, advocating and rejoicing the killing of human beings is seen as barbarous, very few do it in public, and not for long. Which does not mean that we don't have effective ways of dealing with terrorism over here. On the contrary. "Civilised" does not necessarily imply "decadent", as you seem to suggest. And there's more to your hatespeak than just killing "active terrorists", e. g. you advocated wars of aggression that have nothing to do at all with terrorism, you praised the crimes of your current administration etc. etc.. I don't want to be tedious and repeat what has so often been deplored on this list.
If that's the case, you Germans are totally [insert Anglicism for traditional expletive] bonked. Might as well just lubricate yourself and bend over for any and all militant killer scum who threaten you. That's so sad. A whimpering end. Being someone's jailhouse punk in the name of civilization. Es ist wirklich traurig.
I see: what you don't understand, is bonked (thanks for the word anyway): I, too, am a bit uneasy with Angie Merkel licking dubya's boots, but the polls say otherwise, so don't worry too much, for as I said, we have a highly efficient law enforcement system, we rejoice in peace, civil rights and as much security as one might reasonably expect on this planet full of bonkers & boesewichts. And of "partners" going postal. The Untergang was yesterday, brought to us by fellows who believed in little more than just "aggressive national self-defence".

"Wir Deutsche fuerchten Gott und sonst nichts auf der Welt; und diese Gottesfurcht ist es schon, die uns den Frieden lieben und pflegen lässt"* - who could be more politically realistic than Bismarck?
If I misconstrued what you wrote, and it seems certain I misconstrued, you should correct me. What, exactly, in your opinion, qualifies as neo-Nazi about my world view? Or are you the Hammer seeing me as a Nagel?
Ach Eric, the more I come to think of it, the more applications do I find for my humble hammer; there's a famous sleuth named after it, Nietzsche even used it as a tool for philosophy, and look what it could do for Sad Sam Beckett! So why not take it and try to nail a pudding to the wall? Before any further discussion, please answer the very simple pending question first:, namely, what exactly is it that distinguishes your current administration's "aggressive national self-defence" from that of the Nazis, mutatis mutandis, that is. You continually talk about that and killing, killing, killing, like an obsession, and frankly, over here, nobody talks the way you do but Neonazis, and if that hurts you, why not take it as a chance to start thinking? As says wise Sarastro:

"In diesen heiligen Hallen
Kennt man die Rache nicht,
Und ist ein Mensch gefallen,
Fuehrt Liebe ihn zur Pflicht"**

Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
joerg
from Suebia

* "We Germans fear God and nothing else in the world, and it is just this Fear of God that makes us love and cultivate Peace."

** "In these holy halls
   vengeance is unknown.
   and if a human has fallen
   love will guide him towards Duty"