[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:24:19 -0500

>>you resort to pointing the finger somewhere else

That was precisely what Joerg did. Instead of examining the terrorists, he pointed his finger at CIA crimes. Yet I don't fault him for that as you fault me ... we are in fact discussing each other's world views, and how to do that except by placing things in what we see as context?

For example, if someone says that Iranian Intelligence officers are increasingly active in information interception, it behooves another to say, "Compared to whom? The Saudi Intelligence Service spend a lot more money on information intercepts and may be the world's third most active eavesdroppers."

As for abuse, I don't think I am abusing Joerg by slamming his naive statement, anymore than Joerg is abusing me by coyly suggesting I am proto-Nazi living in darkness. We are discussing each other's world views, and the rhetoric is bound to be passionate. If Joerg were hungry, I'd make him a sandwich; if he were homeless, I'd give him a place to sleep. He's not my enemy. We simply view the world differently.