[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:08:41 +0100

Eric Yost schrieb:
(...) about making your culture the way it is.
You are being very ahnungslos, to an extent that I feel any appropriate comment beyond my powers. Rather knocked me off my feet; drowning my alienation in that gloomy Trollinger stuff they use to serve here; didn't get me much relief, though.
The comedy continues in your attempt to compare US actions to Hitler's.
Wars of deliberate aggression, concentration camps, torture, Ermaechtigungsgesetze, embedded press and total desinformation:. of course there are differences, and of course I'm not suggesting that the US are developing a Nazi-style dictatorship. But that's no consolation for the victims.

What does it take for a nation to go postal? Germany had old humanist, liberal and social democrat traditions, a unique level of common education, scholarly and other intellectual elites than ranked worldwide among the first, a strong and self-confident working class movement - how could all this turn into utter barbarianism? What changes had to take place in the heads and minds of all the ordinary people? There cannot be a simple amswer, but one thing's for sure: the way of talking, the habits of looking at things drifted more and more towards a direction that I find reproduced in your and the other neocons' postings. I don't think this is an ad hominem arguement, rather, I'd call it a disquietening parallel.
How about this, Joerg? In twenty years, with the added historical distance, we may find common ground. Unfortunately, by that time, we may also have grown too old and rigid to change our tunes ... though our present state doesn't bode well either.
20 years are a long time, the EU is an open and growing community, maybe by then you'll be ripe for membership negotiations. The Ode to Joy's still waiting for you.

joerg,
from Suebia