[lit-ideas] Re: Marx's influence in America

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:35:37 -0500

I.e., which vision of the future to impose on new territories *regarding
slavery*.  There was no other issue.  If there was, it wasn't worth
secession.

For Lawrence, is it possible that people aren't necessarily -ist's of one
type of another?  Reducing everyone to a label is like choosing black and
white, without even shades of gray.  Just a thought.  Likewise, I know you
like preemptive military action, but it's a no brainer that if you hit
someone, they'll hit you back.  Then what do you do?  I thought the
following from Mother Jones was interesting.  It's a timeline, more or
less, of the lead up to the Iraq invasion.  It's from Mother Jones.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/01/12_405.html