[lit-ideas] Re: Marxism and Political Correctness

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 11:48:37 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 3/1/2012 6:24:20 A.M.  UTC-02, donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
In this case, it seems it's not  just sent by mistake, a premature
electronic ejaculation, as JLS has put in a  "JL:" at the beginning (or has he?
was
that in RP's post? Can't be faffed to  check). But who will explain this
recurring phenomena

----

The "JL" was written by R. Paul. In my case, I can tell you, I don't think
I did hit 'send', or if I did, I did not hit it 'intentionally'.

J. L. Austin has written on 'unintentionally'. He notes that most uses of
_'intentionally'_ are otiose.

"He sent an e-mail, intentionally."

vs.

"He sent an e-mail, unintentionally."

This relates to Mrs. Dummett, who died earlier this year, and her husband,
Michael Dummett. Dummett cleverly observed that an 'answering-machine' is a
 misnomer ("it won't give you any answers"). Similarly, an 'asking machine'
 would, by force of concepts, also, he claimed, be a misnomer.

To 'ask', to 'answer', to 'send' (as in 'send a letter') are by definition
_intentional_ actions. Grice proved Austin wrong. And so on.

Part of McEvoy's problem is in the setting account of an e-mail. When _I_
wrote, unintentionally, as per my last post:

---

Subject: Re: [lit-ideas] Re: Marxism and Political Correctness [some
reflexions on Mr. Speranza's latest paper].

"In a message dated 3/1/2012 1:44:06 A.M.  UTC-02, _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)  writes:"

--- as a matter of fact, I never _typed_ those things. Yet, if you were to
reply to that post, by hitting 'replay', you would get: In a message dated
3/2/2012, _jlsperanza@xxxxxxxx (mailto:jlsperanza@xxxxxxx)   writes:"

So 'write' is possibly a misnomer here. Grice prefers to refer to this as
'deeming'.

"A lot of the things we do are not done by us but DEEMED as done by us." He
 gives the example of this Oxford college: cats were forbidden by the
college  regulations, so this cat (which belonged to this dean) was _Deemed_ a
dog. The  Governing Body found that solution better than changing the college
regulations.

---- "write", like "send", are intentional acts. But Grice wants to add
that 'intentional' comes out as an 'implicature' rather than as part of the
'sense' of "write" or "send".

Note that a speech can send you to a state of bliss, also
_unintentionally_. In this case, it is more of a perlocutionary effect:
something done by
the speaker while delivering the speech, or as a Result of the  deliverance
of the speech; not as part of the meaning-constitutive intention.  And so on.

---

>No music without language.
>>and neither before breathing.

I have been checking dates, and while J. W. apparently is quoting from
Derrida, it is not clear what translation he is using?

Note that the 'unitentional' 'Reply' hit 'mistake' requires some
caeteris-paribus interpretation on the part of unintentional addressees. Hence
the
slight otiosity of "oops -- the previous post was sent by mistake", and so
on.

It may be all different when it comes to Geary, etc. because he wrote,
"clever", and added an emoticon to his reply (once).

Cheers,

Speranza