[lit-ideas] Re: Magritte on Spinoza

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 17 Nov 2004 18:19:18 PST

Harold asks where I am when I'm needed, but my job description says I am not
needed here. If I were needed I would be there since everything happens of
necessity and as it has not happened was is obviously not necessary.

Of course, I may be misrepresenting Spinoza. As Hume said of miracles it would
be more incredible that Spinoza would have thought what I attribute to him than
that I attribute it mistakenly. I think that Spinoza is one of those people who
(like Marx) cannot distinguish between logical relations and causal connections,
but I'm probably wrong about that too.

Apparently the Magritte picture is being used in a psychological experiment:

http://kybele.psych.cornell.edu/~edelman/Magritte/psycho.html

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute