[lit-ideas] MY 5 SECONDS OF FAME

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:45:11 -0500

Oh frabjous day!  I've finally made the scene.  After 35 years of
assiduously watching TV documentary film clips of Civil Rights marches in
Memphis before, during and after the Garbage Strike of 1968 (during which,
of course, Martin Luther King was assassinated), I have FINALLY spotted
myself as one of the marchers in one of the Garbage Strike marches.
Calloo!  Callay!  I was on screen long enough for me to have the following
discussion:  "Is that me?!  Yes, it is!  No, no, it's not, I'm prettier than
that.  Oh god, yes, it is!  Damn, I should have washed my hair."  -- face
time: at least 5 seconds, I'd say.   Ach, sic transit gloria mundi.  But,
hey, there I was  -- me, moi himself -- on the Bill Moyers Journal.
NATIONAL TV!    Eat your heart out, world.

Mike Geary
finally famous

PS: autographs available, get them while they're cheap.