[lit-ideas] Loyalty Day

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:12:07 -0400

In that same Phil-Lit Digest where the Bobkes def was stored, I found an old discussion about Bush's Loyalty Day (May 1st) proclamation in 2003. Does this continue to be celebrated? How? With enthusiasm? Or did it fall by the wayside except for flags on government buildings?

Here is a short reprise of a response by Stephen Straker to Lawrence helm....

Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 23:30:27 -0700
From: Stephen Straker <straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: Re: May 1st is now... Loyalty Day?

 Lawrence Helm wrote:
 ... I take your [Andreas's] current posting
 to mean that you think Loyalty to America a bad thing, or
 as the Leftists (which you say you aren't) are wont to
 say, scary...

 ... I have difficulty imagining how a
 society of any size could survive without loyalty being
 considered a virtue ...

 ... I argued that when a nation couldn't count on its
 young men to fight its wars, it couldn't count on
 surviving...

 ... Loyalty to America, according to my healthy
 soul, is something I delight in.

Would you care, then, to comment on the service record - and thus the loyalty - of the man who, now as President, has proclaimed Loyalty Day?

I am made uneasy by people who wrap themselves in the flag.
It suggests to me they are small people, bullies, who,
lacking virtue, seek to use the symbols of virtue to
intimidate those they would subdue. Loyalty Day seems to me
Orwellian - and smacks of McCarthyism, Un-American
Activities committees, loyalty oaths ...

Here's another example - in this case, palpable disloyalty
to the office of president:

"There was a time when patriotic Americans from both parties
would have denounced any president who tried to take
political advantage of his role as commander in chief. But
that, it seems, was another country."

see:
"Man on Horseback," The New York Times (6 May 2003)
by Paul Krugman
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/opinion/06KRUG.html

Can you set aside Krugman's point simply on the grounds that
he is a left-wing columnist writing in a left-wing rag? (The
*Times* supported the Iraq invasion but found much wanting
in the President's conduct in the months preceding.)

Stephen Straker <straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Vancouver, B.C.

Ursula curious in North Bay ------------------------------------------------------------------ To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html