[lit-ideas] Re: Locating Friere's foot & Moore's hands

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:09:41 -0230

Quoting cblists@xxxxxxxx:

> On 9-Aug-09, at 9:15 PM, Walter C. Okshevsky wrote:
>
> >> [On 9-Aug-09 I wrote:]
>
> >> Sometimes one - or some (i.e., a colloquium) - may wish to GENERATE
> >> or EXERCISE philosophical 'problems.  An important thing here is
> >> that one - or the colloquium - is AWARE that s/he - or the larger
> >> group - is doing so [i.e., taking language on holiday].
> >>
> >> Am I wrong in thinking that the following quotation is (at least)
> >> not unrelated (and even, perhaps, an illustration of the point I am
> >> trying to make)?
> >>
> >> ?I sit with a philosopher in a garden; he says again and again, ?I
> >> know that that is a tree,? pointing to a tree that is near us.
> >> Someone else comes by and hears this, and I tell him, ?This fellow
> >> isn?t insane; we?re only doing philosophy.'" [from L. Wittgenstein,
> >> ON CERTAINTY]
> >>
> >> Chris Bruce
> >> Kiel, Germany
> >
> > Yes, I believe Chris is wrong. The philosopher in the garden fails
> > to raise a genuine philosophical problem, but for W this is but one
> > more example of the philosophical mind at work - a form of work he
> > recommends his close friends to avoid or give up.
>
> I will take up the challenge as soon as I find my copy of ON CERTAINTY
> (which I'm certain I left around here SOMEWHERE ...).

No, I think Chris wants to say that she *believes* she left her copy around here
somewhere. Were she "certain" about that, in W's sense, she could not entertain
doubts to the contrary without putting into doubt her entire system of
questioning, verifying, falsifying, flirting, etc.. And surely she has better
things to do with her time ......

Walter O
MUN