[lit-ideas] Re: Lit-Ideas: A Survey

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:58:23 EST

And now to bed!

Simon, don't feel harrassed. Anyway,

wouldn't it be nice if lurkers dislurk and contribute, with things like:
"Hi, I'm from ...".

I have to show Ramos that the percentages can vary. Just joking. Have to
work tomorrow, so early to bed!

Anyway, before that, two bits I found about Dartmoor, so that S. Ward
doesn't have to sound so patronising! Just joking!

--- Coates says that the devil visited Sussex. Apparently it also visited
Dartomoor. From wiki:

"Dartmoor abounds with myths and legends. It is reputedly the haunt of
pixies, a headless horseman, a mysterious pack of 'spectral hounds', and a
large
black dog. During the Great Thunderstorm of 1638, Dartmoor was even said to
have  been visited by the Devil."

which wouldn't surprise me. It also visited Buenos Aires (see "Fausto" by
Estanislao del Campo -- a parody on the Gounod opera presentation at the Colon
Theatre, as seen by a gaucho).

S. Ward wisely notes that the Saxon warriors (I call a warrior even if he  is
a mercenary! sorry!) used the Roman roads. No such thing in Dartmoor,
apparently:

Also from wiki:

"There are still almost 450 miles (720 km) of  footpaths and bridleways on
     Dartmoor, but they are for guidance and  convenience – they do not have
     to be kept to, and in fact footpaths in these  sections of the Park
     are generally not waymarked."

So -- do we have a Latin American on this list? Or an African-resident
(other than Mirembe), or from India ("Did you like Slumdog Millionaire?"). Come

out!

Cheers,

JL
  Buenos Aires, Argentina