[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:19 -0600

In reality Jews have lived in the middle east for a good 5000 years. I remember when we had to cross the red sea to escape pharaoh and his Egyptian guys who were chasing us.

Whoa! You've got some years on me. And I thought I was getting old.

Don't you remember reading about us in the Golden Book of the Bible when you were 5 or 6?

Nope. I was raised Catholic. We didn't do any Bible reading. They were chained down, in fact.

That was us -- the Jews.

Don't feel bad. Jesus was a Jew, too.

I wasn't sure the red sea was going to open up and let us cross. But -- o yeah! -- it did! I'm here to tell about it.

Yeah, I know. Cecil B. DeMille was there too! In fact he took some motion pictures of it. Old Super 8 stuff, I guess. I saw them. That was neat! But how come you guys didn't sink into what had to have been 10 feet of mud? Miracles were a dime a dozen that day, I guess.

It took us 40 years of wandering around in the wilderness, but we finally settled down.

It was that mana -- peyote, it was, or amanita muscaria. You guys kept walking in circles. One of God's little tricks, but the Cannanites still had 40 years on the lease, what could Yadaweh do?

Ever read about Joseph and his brothers?

Is that the guy with the pimp coat? He was cool. I really liked his musical.

And hey! Remember Abraham?

Not that the guy out of Highway 61!? Oh, man, am I ever glad he wasn't my dad.

And while Israel is a Jewish state, it's also a democratic one. It has a knesset, their Congress, and Arabs are members too.

Big deal. What I like about Isreal are the Kibbutzim. Honest to god Communism -- used to be anyway. Are they still communal communities? I want to start a Kibbutzim on my acre in Widener. You can come there as long as you promise not to proselytize. Even Baptists can come if they promise to keep their mouths shut. Even Muslims can come if they leave their bombs home --- ach! sorry, my Muslims brothers, I just can't pass up a joke, -- as long as they don't pull me down on to their prayer mats, they're welcome too. Everyone can come, just don't try to convert anyone to anything.

Mike Geary
Lord of Widerner