[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:39:03 -0500

This is fascinating. Now we've heard 5 or 6 totally different stories. No WONDER there is so much contention. No one really knows what the history is.

At various points in the past 15 years, but mainly since 9/11, I've searched [in vain] for a comprehensive (and I might add, objective) history of the area known as the Middle East. Almost everything I've found has a clear agenda for one side or the other. People's histories of the area also, almost invariably contain some kind of prejudice in either direction. I'm wondering if it's even possible for anyone to be completely objective with such an issue.

Can anyone direct me to a non-Jewish, non-Palestinian source for what they consider a fair and non-partisan history of the M.E. and in particular, the State of Israel? Every time I think I've got it, someone else adds "yes, but in xxxx the [insert protagonist here] did such and such".

living in the independent state of confusion,
paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada