[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:39:08 -0800

I don't quite understand this point:  the "free
speech" defence of publishing the cartoons is in fact
a very US one.

The US press response has been "we don't want to offend the Arabs". Of some 5,000 newspapers, only four or five minor papers have printed the cartoons. None of the major papers have printed them.

As for "free speech" in the US press, that's a joke. We have a monoculture in the press. None of the significant papers raised any issues about the illegality or lack of evidence for the invasion of Iraq. The US government is extremely corrupt and incompetent, yet you barely read about that. The US press has been cowed into submission.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com